Deodorized opium tincture Usp Oral liquid
Opium Tincture, Deodorized
Tincture of Opium
Dosage Forms of opium tincture Usp Oral liquid
Excipient information presented when available (limited, particularly for generics); consult specific product labeling.
Generic: 10 mg/mL (1%) (118 mL, 473 mL)
opium tincture Usp Oral liquid Contains many opioid alkaloids including morphine; its mechanism for gastric motility inhibition is primarily due to this morphine content; it results in a decrease in digestive secretions, an increase in GI muscle tone, and therefore a reduction in GI propulsion
Duration of Action
4 to 5 hours
Use: Labeled Indications
Diarrhea: Treatment of diarrhea in adults
Use in children; diarrhea caused by poisoning until the toxic material is eliminated from the GI tract
Documentation of allergenic cross-reactivity for opioids is limited. However, because of similarities in chemical structure and/or pharmacologic actions, the possibility of cross-sensitivity cannot be ruled out with certainty.
Note: Opium tincture contains morphine 10 mg/mL. Use caution in ordering, dispensing, and/or administering. The following doses are expressed in mg (milligram) dosing units of morphine.
Diarrhea: Oral: 6 mg of undiluted opium tincture (10 mg/mL) 4 times daily
Refer to adult dosing.
Dosing: Renal Impairment
There are no dosage adjustments provided in the manufacturer’s labeling.
Dosing: Hepatic Impairment
There are no dosage adjustments provided in the manufacturer’s labeling; use with caution.
Store at 68°F to 77°F (20°C to 25°C). Protect from light.
Alvimopan: Opioid Analgesics may enhance the adverse/toxic effect of Alvimopan. This is most notable for patients receiving long-term (i.e., more than 7 days) opiates prior to alvimopan initiation. Management: Alvimopan is contraindicated in patients receiving therapeutic doses of opioids for more than 7 consecutive days immediately prior to alvimopan initiation. Consider therapy modification
Amphetamines: May enhance the analgesic effect of Opioid Analgesics. Monitor therapy
Anticholinergic Agents: May enhance the adverse/toxic effect of Opioid Analgesics. Specifically, the risk for constipation and urinary retention may be increased with this combination. Monitor therapy
Azelastine (Nasal): CNS Depressants may enhance the CNS depressant effect of Azelastine
Concerns related to adverse effects of opium tincture Usp Oral liquid
• CNS depression: May cause CNS depression, which may impair physical or mental abilities; patients must be cautioned about performing tasks which require mental alertness (eg, operating machinery or driving).
• Hypotension: May cause hypotension; use with caution in patients with hypovolemia, cardiovascular disease (including acute MI), or with drugs which may exaggerate hypotensive effects (including phenothiazines or general anesthetics).
• Abdominal conditions: May obscure diagnosis or clinical course of patients with acute abdominal conditions.
• Adrenal insufficiency: Use with caution in patients with adrenal insufficiency, including Addison’s disease. Long-term opioid use may cause secondary hypogonadism, which may lead to sexual dysfunction, infertility, mood disorders, and osteoporosis (Brennan, 2013).
• Biliary tract impairment: Use with caution in patients with biliary tract dysfunction, including acute pancreatitis; may cause constriction of sphincter of Oddi.
• CNS depression/coma: Avoid use in patients with CNS depression or coma as these patients are susceptible to intracranial effects of CO2 retention.
• Drug abuse: Use with caution in patients with a history of drug abuse or acute alcoholism; potential for drug dependency exists. Tolerance, psychological and physical dependence may occur with prolonged use.
• GI Hemorrhage: Use with caution in patients with GI hemorrhage.
• Head trauma: Use with extreme caution in patients with head injury, intracranial lesions, or elevated intracranial pressure; exaggerated elevation of ICP may occur.
• Hepatic impairment: Use with caution in patients with hepatic dysfunction.
• Obesity: Use with caution in patients who are morbidly obese.
• Prostatic hyperplasia/urinary stricture: Use with caution in patients with prostatic hyperplasia and/or urinary stricture.
• Respiratory disease: Use with caution in patients with pre-existing respiratory compromise (hypoxia and/or hypercapnia), COPD or other obstructive pulmonary disease, and kyphoscoliosis or other skeletal disorders which may alter respiratory function; critical respiratory depression may occur, even at therapeutic dosages.
• Thyroid dysfunction: Use with caution in patients with thyroid dysfunction.
Concurrent drug therapy issues:
• Drug-drug interaction
buy opium tincture Usp Oral liquid, opium tincture Usp Oral liquid price, opium tincture Usp Oral liquid for sale, buy opium tincture Usp Oral liquid without prescritpion, opium tincture Usp Oral liquid online legit pharma, opium tincture Usp Oral liquid price uk, opium tincture Usp Oral liquid price usa, opium tincture Usp Oral liquid price australia, opium tincture Usp Oral liquid price canada